500g beef sausage
750g ground beef
¾ cup brown onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic chopped
5 medium ripe red tomatoes, chopped
250g canned chopped tomato with juice
450g tomato puree
350g tomato paste
½ cup beef stock
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon ground fennel seed
3 tablespoons fresh Basil leaves chopped
4 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley chopped
2 tablespoons fresh oregano chopped or 1 ½ dried
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon chili flakes
½ teaspoon ground pepper
600g ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
500g shredded mozzarella cheese
1 ½ cups grated Parmesan cheese
About 10 to 12 lasagna strips; I
prefer the fresh sheets
1. Preheat oven to 170°C/340°F
2. Drizzle olive oil in a large sauce pan, Sauté the sausage, ground beef, onions then lastly the garlic (to avoid burning)
3. Add the crushed tomatoes both fresh and canned, tomato sauce, beef stock and paste.
4. Mix in sugar, fennel, basil, parsley, oregano, cinnamon, chili flakes, pepper and salt. Gently stir these seasoning into the sauce. Cover the pot and let the meat sauce simmer for approximately 30 minutes.
5. In a bowl mix ricotta cheese, nutmeg, egg and parsley.
6. Now we start with building the lasagna layers. Using a large casserole or a rectangular lasagna dish spreading some of the meat sauce on the bottom of the pan. Place fresh lasagna sheets over the meat just covering it. Spread some ricotta cheese mixture over the layer of pasta. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the ricotta layer. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the mozzarella layer. Repeat. Top with remaining meat, and then top with cheese.
7. Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven at 170 Celsius for 40 minutes.
8. Remove foil and bake uncovered for another 25 minutes.
9. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.