4 boneless chicken breasts cut in half horizontally so it makes 8 flat pieces.
½ cup fresh soft goat cheese (if you do not prefer goat cheese, ricotta also works)
2 green onions, chopped, the bottom white portion
5 fresh basil
fresh lemon zest
freshly ground pepper
½ cup dry
breadcrumbs (Recommended: Panko)
1 egg, beaten and in a shallow bowl
1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
2. Pound the chicken between sheets of waxed paper to ¼ - inch thickness using meat mallet or get your butcher to make your chicken breast thin “escalope-style”. Pat chicken dry.
3. In a medium bowl, combine cheese, green onions, basil, and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
4. Spread the cheese mixture lengthwise over half of each chicken piece. Roll chicken up, starting one long side, into tight cylinders, Dip the chicken in the egg batter, allowing the excess to drip into the bowl. Roll in breadcrumbs, shaking off the excess.
5. Place the chicken rolls in a baking dish all tightly next to one another. Sprinkle or spray some olive oil on top of the rolls and bake for approximately 25 - 30 minutes, checking regularly. Serve on its own or accompanied with a spinach salad, great combination!