The average person in Cyprus consumes 17 pounds of Halloumi every year. Outside Cyprus, it is the UK that consumes this cheese the most.
2 ripe tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
½ red onion, sliced
2 cucumbers, peeled and chopped
¼ cup of fresh mint, chopped
¼ cup of fresh parsley, chopped
¼ cup fresh thyme, chopped (dried thyme is possible as a replacement)
1 full halloumi piece, approximately 250-300g
For the tahini dressing:
3 tablespoons tahini paste
½ cup water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon yogurt
Garnish with sesame seeds
1. Combine all ingredients together, except the Halloumi.
2. Slice the Halloumi into even several pieces horizontally and soak in a bowl of warm water for about 10 minutes.
3. Take the Halloumi out of the water and let it dry. Lay in a medium heat pan with a touch of olive oil. Pan-fry all pieces until golden brown on each side.
4. For the tahini dressing, combine all ingredients together. Whisk in water to be thin or thick to taste.
5. Lay the fried Halloumi over the salad. And sprinkle sesame seeds over the entire salad