2 springs of fresh rosemary
1 sprig of fresh sage
3 springs of fresh thyme
Use sprigs of fresh anything you can get your hands on!
1.5 to 2 kg good quality boneless shoulder of lamb- ask butcher to trim fat and tie with cooking string
1 bulb garlic unpeeled, broken into cloves and sliced into long thin pieces
Good quality olive oil
A few pinches of rock salt
Fresh ground black pepper
Small butter rolls, any rolls you prefer
Rocket leaves- if you like
1. Heat oven to highest heat.
2. Using a sharp knife, insert slits all over lamb piece. In each slit, insert the garlic pieces. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
3. In a hot oiled frying pan- sear the lamb piece browning all edges. Set aside.
4. Roll strips of foil over the bottom of a roasting pan. Place half fresh herbs over foil. Rest the lamb piece over the herbs. Lay remaining herbs over lamb.
5. Cover roasting pan with foil ensuring all is fully sealed.
6. Lower heat to 170 degrees Celsius. Cook for 3 hours. Check on lamb every hour to ensure there is no burning.
7. Allow to rest for 20 minutes after cooking completed. Remove lamb from garnish and discard cooking string. Taste to season accordingly with salt and pepper. Using two forks shred the lamb.
8. Stuff the small rolls with lamb and Mango Chutney and other rolls with lamb and horseradish- to mix up the flavours. Use fillings like rocket leaves, dark greens, anything you enjoy!
Some sweet and others savory with a kick!