1 puff pastry sheet rolled-out and dusted with flour
400g ground beef
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 ½ tablespoons sumac
1 tablespoon Arabic 7-Spice mix (found in most stores)
1 ½ -tablespoon pomegranate syrup
½ cup Kashkaval cheese, shredded
¼ cup plain yogurt
For topping/sprinkling over each pastry:
⅓-cup plain yogurt
¼ cup honey
1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
2. Sauté the ground beef and onions until cooked over medium heat. Blend in Sumac, Arabic 7 spice, pomegranate syrup and cheese. Turn the heat off and set aside to cool down. Roll out the puff pastry sheet.
3. Using a medium glass cup, turn upside down and make circle shapes in the pastry. Lay the pastry flat on a cookie sheet. Or, as I like to do, lay softly on top of a mini sized cupcake pan so your pastry has a dipped shape.
4. Spoon in the ¼ cup plain yogurt into the cooled meat mixture. Over each pastry, spoon a generous amount of meat filling.
5. Bake until golden, approximately 10 minutes.
6. While baking, mix the ⅓ cup plain yogurt with honey.
7. Allow to cool. Over each pastry, add a dollop of sweet yogurt then top it with pomegranate seeds and pine nuts.