For the dressing:
1 cup chicken stock (vegetable stock will do if you prefer no meat)
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon grained Dijon mustard
¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
For the salad:
2 ½ cups dried whole grain pasta (casarecci, bowtie, or spiral)
2 medium asparagus sticks, fully chopped from top to bottom (discard woody stem of course)
1 cup small cherry tomatoes
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1 small squash (either zucchini or yellow squash), peeled and chopped
1 small red bell pepper (capsicum), de-seeded and chopped
¾ cup canned sweet corn, drained and rinsed
¾ cup canned red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 bunch fresh basil, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
1- 8 ounce can tuna in water, preferably albacore, drained and rinsed
1. Boil the water with a touch of salt and a drizzle of olive oil then add pasta and cook pasta.
2. Drain the pasta and drizzle the olive oil and a sprinkle of salt mixing it into the pasta then put aside in refrigerator.
3. In a medium bowl, mix all the dressing ingredients together. Place the ingredients in a blender for few seconds to emulsify. Place in the refrigerator while preparing salad.
4. In a small skillet over medium heat, drizzle some extra virgin olive oil. Place the chopped asparagus in skillet for approximately 3 minutes. Regularly stir it around searing all sides. Set aside to cool.
5. When ready to serve, combine the salad ingredients including the cooled asparagus in a large bowl along with the pasta.
6. Toss the dressing with the salad or serve it separately in a saucer for each person to pour in as much as they desire.
7. Also when serving, have balsamic vinegar and olive oil on table as some may like to add more.