Did you know? Beans can be made into burgers, cakes, drinks, pies, fudge, muffins, jewelry, furniture (bean-bag chairs!), toys, and musical instruments.
1 kg store bought good quality rotisserie chicken- with hand gloves pick all the meat and place in a bowl
½ teaspoon rock salt
¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil- not virgin as it burns easier
1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans of good quality white cannellini beans, rinsed and drained- one can have mashed and set aside. Other can should have the beans remain in full form.
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup corn cut straight from a cooked cob (If you can’t find- a can of good quality sweet corn, rinsed and drained)
One can good quality creamed corn-containing only corn, no salt added
½ cup chopped leeks
1 teaspoon corn flour- mixed with a bit of water
2 teaspoons oregano, fresh is best but dried is good as well
2 teaspoons ground cumin
¼ teaspoon white pepper
Chopped green jalapeño
1 ½ cups (6 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
Fat free sour cream or fat free Greek Yogurt
Coriander, roughly chopped
Red pepper flakes
Green onions, the bottom white part, chopped
Note, if you have a slow cooker, place all the ingredients in the morning, turn on medium and in the evening it will be ready!
1. In a large pot, sauté the shredded chicken until softened.
2. Stir in the onion for a few minutes, then add the garlic. Cook 2 minutes longer until vegetables are tender.
3. In a small bowl, mash 1 of the cans of cannellini beans. Add them to the pot and remaining beans and broth. Add corn kernels, creamed corn and leeks and corn flour. Mix well. Add oregano, cumin, white pepper and a touch more salt. Taste to your liking.
4. Cover and slow simmer for 1 hour. Uncover and allow to thicken for 5 minutes. Stir before serving. Taste and see what spices you would like to add more of. I always tend to throw in a some diced green jalapeños at the end for a kick after serving the kids.
5. Add anything you desire as an add on.